Sunday, May 30, 2010

Strong feelings on using “Initials” when writing

I am almost positive I was reading a diary that read, “You should not use initials until after you have completely spelled out the words”. It said that if you use initials in your topic, i.e., “MMS Has Worries”, you should then, in the first paragraph of your writing or shortly afterwards, explain “Minerals Management Service (MMS)”.

I find it frustrating while reading anything when I have to constantly stop to ponder what the initials stand for. To me, it’s like walking and continuously bumping into a wooden fence or brick wall. I also find the process very disconcerting due to the fact I would not be getting the pleasure of reading and being informed by the material which I hope were the intentions of its author.

Ever once in a while, I encounter a list identifying the most common used initials and the list gets longer and longer everytime I see one.

In my opinion, it becomes rude littering your writing materials with initials, especially after asking yourself, “Will my readers know what I am talking about?” At some point, if you do not express some concerns when using clueless initials, for all you know you may be only writing for folks who have social club meetings in tree houses and who are the only ones understanding what you are talking about.

I smile each time I see the diary “GUS”. The author always tells me it means, “Give up smoking” and every once in a while, I pop in for a visit. You can sincerely feel the diarist wants you to understand what the diary is about and is consistent in respecting you while rendering a helping hand.
As always,
BB

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home