Thursday, October 21, 2010

Some Black thoughts..

I wish that it was one of those programs I could click off when it began to make me un-comfortable. I say ‘click-off’ because I can never think of the name of that little thing that changes the channel. When I have company and want to change the TV channel, I would say, “Give me that clicker over there”. I know it is a channel changer but even as I write, I can not think of what it is called. In any event, I wish I had used my clicker before seeing the interview with a man from Chicago talking about Blacks shooting and killing each other.

It was an interview conducted by CNN correspondent T.J. Holmes regarding a youths’ treacherous journey going to and from high school with real fears of being shot. Here is where I should have used my clicker because Mr. Holmes went on to interview a man who said that:
If you ban and confiscate all the guns in Chicago, Blacks would kill each other with bricks. They need jobs, he concluded.

The little wheels in my head began vigorously churning and up popped:
Jobs for what? Jobs give you money and in this country, there is a class ceiling for Blacks having money!

As sinister as that sounds, I know to this very day I would not be welcomed on the waters if I had a boat. There would be that element in other boats calling me names as my family and I try enjoying ourselves on the water. And feeling free to join a yacht club would be out of the question. Buying a chalet in Aspen, Colorado? Yeah, right! And there is the issues of desires to travel abroad and, be design, not seeing hardly any Blacks in travel documentaries with full knowledge I would be a curiosity in places I would like to visit. And there are issues of owning a second home at the beach -there is always the small section of Marthas’ Vineyard- and my paranoia goes on and on.

Many Blacks with decent incomes are confined to comforts of buying clothes, jewelry, automobiles and, perhaps, a house or two.

In my opinion, the glass ceiling gets thicker by the day. The discouragements are devastating!

I’ve often heard Blacks get paid less than whites for the same job due to the fact white employers feel that all Blacks do with their money is ‘get lickered up and buy women’!

Fighting for the dignity of my Ancestor,
God bless Bill Gates, WPFW, C-SPAN and the spirits of the unborn for the help,
BB
P.S. I am mindful of the jewelry store owner who put up her ‘Closed’ sign when Oprah was going to enter the store.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home