Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Cairo: What I see, heard and don’t see on TV

In background pictures, I see what appears to be well maintained apartment/office buildings. I do not see broken windows or ragged Venetian blinds, curtains flying out of windows or various signs of graffiti.

I see clean streets. I heard the women come out in the evenings to clean the streets after the men protesters have moved on.

I have not seen homes of the rich nor scenes of the Presidential Palace. I do not see gasoline lighted shakes darted along roads outside of Cairo with emaciated animals roaming around thatched gardens with rusty, dilapidated chicken wire fences a la the movie “Tobacco Road”.

I have not seen women wearing jeans or mini-skirts or dresses and especially dresses that say ‘I’m gonna git me a man this time!'

I have not seen men with punk hair styles and hair dyed the colors of their flag. I have not seen half-naked men wearing shorts or carefully altered jeans

I have not seen small pro and con Mubarak groups arguing and threatening each other in the streets of Cairo.

I heard Americans are in worst shape than Egyptians regarding employment, health, diet and education.

I smile at reports stating the average Egyptian earns $2.00 a day just like they say the average person in India earns $1.00 a day and twenty cents a day in some of the more desperate African countries. Reporters reporting such nonsense should be banned from the profession.

Noting I have listed more of what I don’t see in Cairo and ask “Where’s the beef?” to consistent replies, “We want Democracy just like in America and we want Pres. Obama to help us get it!” I am mindful of the old saying, “Be careful what you wish for.” (Smile)

As always,
BB

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home