Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Scotland Yard and “Who done it?”

Yesterday, *Parliament questioned several high ranking officials who had resigned from Scotland Yard over the Rupert Murdoch scandal.

Much of the questioning was akin to our American version of “Who killed Cock Robin?” The high ranking officials were asked who hired certain nefarious individuals, who recommended them for the job and were their backgrounds checked etc..,

It occurred to me how un-sophisticated were the high ranking officials who had very likely honed their curiosity in criminology by reading Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie. I would imagine they have libraries full of their writings and discuss their stories at many functions. I think that can be safely assumed.

They said things like, “Hind-sight is 20/20” and “If I knew then what I know now”. That baffles me! It was hard for me to believe those high ranking officials would allow anyone into their highly disciplined environment without being thoroughly vetted.

When Rebecka Brooks and the Murdochs were questioned before the panel, my telepathic skills did not work when I tried telling the interrogators to say:

-OK, now. You say you did not know the extent of the phone hacking and bribery until recently. You said you were shocked. Tell me, who did you immediately call and describe for me the nature of your conversation.

As always,
BB
P.S. I am mindful how angry the Royal Family was when the Muppet Show hit British television featuring them. I wonder if a lot of materials for the show was due to hacking and bribery?

*Scotland Yard in Harsh Spotlight at Hearings
By GRAHAM BOWLEY and ALAN COWELL
Excerpt:
Some of Britain’s most senior police officers faced new scrutiny in Parliament on Tuesday in hearings before lawmakers that showed the extent of the interconnections between Scotland Yard and News International, Rupert Murdoch’s British newspaper empire.
Read more at:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/20/world/europe/20yard.html?_r=1&hp

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home