Monday, July 18, 2011

Internet Technology and my Social Security and retirement check

When I first started teaching in early 1960, my salary was $3,400.00 a year. We got paid once a month. After deductions, I paid $100.00 a month for a one bedroom apartment in a nice middle-class neighborhood, a car note on a $3,000.00 Nash Rambler, I went shopping as needed and paid my bills on time by mail.

There was no such thing as cell phones or cable television or shopping on-line or paying high prices for clothing to make you look either sexy or half-naked.

Enter the computer. No problem but it came with a price and continues eroding my Social Security and Retirement checks.

My bank charges me $5.00 for each direct deposits into my account and another $5.00 when my mortgage company takes the money out. The water company just told me my water bill will go up 8.5% per quarter:
“The new budget will pay for water and sewer reconstructions programs, inspection and repair of critical water and sewer infrastructure and increased cost of Sanity Sewer Overflow Consent Decree compliance.”

My Social Security checks are taxed at 30% and the lady at the IRS told me “…it would be 40% if you were married”.

I know everything today has a computer based price tag. I love what those technologist have done for the world. The advances of civilization comes at a price.

I love the fact computer technology has allowed me to do so many things and especially from my home but I lament the fact my Social Security and Retirement checks are mere tortoises to the speed of the cost of Internet Technology. As Tevye would lament, “If I were a rich man…”.
Fighting for the dignity of my Ancestors,
God bless Bill Gates, WPFW, C-span and the spirits of the unborn for the help,
BB

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home